Sunday, May 23, 2010

Salvaging Garish Beads


I have beads in my stash that I've acquired over the years that have garish finishes or colors.  I read an article (can't remember where...) about salvaging some of those gaudy beads.  It suggested using fingernail polish remover to change a color or finish and then giving them a good rinse under running water.  For this to work, the finish/color has to be non-permanent.  You can test the permanence just by dropping a few beads into the remover; the color or finish should begin to come off with in a few minutes.  I decided to try this with some peach bugle beads of which I wasn't too fond.  I soaked them in the remover for a couple of hours and they went from being a pastel peach to a beautiful pearly, satin white.  I'm very happy with the results and will try this on other beads that could use a color/finish boost!

No comments: